Lethbridge Drug Supplier Arrested in Calgary
Posted: May 13, 2015
Calgary…A man accused of supplying cocaine and fentanyl to the Lethbridge region has been arrested in Calgary by members of Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT).
On May 1 members of ALERT, an integrated team of Calgary Police Service, Lethbridge Regional Police Service, and RCMP members, executed two search warrants in Calgary. More than $50,000 worth of cocaine and fentanyl was seized, alongside a handgun and body armour.
Kousuke Kano, 28, was believed to be supplying drugs from the Calgary area to Lethbridge street-level dealers. ALERT found evidence that a storage locker in a Calgary industrial area was being utilized to package and press cocaine. Investigators seized a cocaine press and quantities of a buffing agent.
The drugs and weapons seized included:
- 373 grams of cocaine;
- 310 fentanyl pills;
- 6 grams of methamphetamine;
- 42 unknown pills;
- Body armour;
- Ruger handgun with ammunition;
- $27,000 in cash proceeds of crime.
Kano is facing 11 drug and weapons related charges, including:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking (x 3);
- Possession of cocaine;
- Possession of proceeds of crime;
- Possession of a prohibited weapon;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm;
- Possession of a restricted weapon with ammunition;
- Possession of a firearm contrary to order (x 2);
- Possession of body armour.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of Alberta Sheriffs, Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Regional Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.