Fentanyl Lab Dismantled in Calgary
Posted: January 30, 2019
Calgary… A suspected fentanyl lab operating in Calgary has been dismantled. ALERT seized a pill press, dies, various chemical powders, and fentanyl in both pill and powder forms.
ALERT’s Calgary organized crime team dismantled the lab on January 18, 2019, with the help of Calgary Police Service and the RCMP’s Clandestine Laboratory Enforcement and Response (CLEAR) team.
The suspected lab was operating inside a detached garage at a home in the Calgary neighbourhood of Forest Lawn. The RCMP CLEAR team dismantled and decontaminated the lab, which contained a pill press, tablet dies marked with “CDN” and “80”, numerous chemical binders and powder dyes, fentanyl-contaminated mixing containers, and packaging materials.
In addition to the lab, ALERT executed search warrants at a home in New Brighton and two storage lockers in Erin Woods. A vehicle was also searched.
In total, approximately $75,000 worth of processed drugs was seized. Items seized include:
- 902 fentanyl pills;
- 178 grams of fentanyl powder;
- 4.4 kilograms of powders;
- 101 morphine pills; and
- one handgun.
Four people have been charged:
- Richard Clow, 30, is charged with production of fentanyl; possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking; possession of property obtained by crime; and breach of recognizance.
- Kyle Bauch, 30, is charged with production of fentanyl; possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking; possession of property obtained by crime; unsafe storage of a firearm; and unauthorized possession of a firearm.
- Scott Connell, 38, is charged with production of fentanyl.
- Shawna Foley, 37, is charged with production of fentanyl.
ALERT’s investigation started in November 2018 thanks to a tip from the public.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.
Notice to Media: More photographs of goods seized will be available Wednesday afternoon.