Drugs and Guns Seized in Search of Four Grande Prairie Homes
Posted: November 18, 2016
Grande Prairie… Four homes in Grande Prairie were searched as part of a drug trafficking investigation conducted by ALERT. Three firearms and more than $40,000 in drugs and cash were seized.
ALERT Grande Prairie’s organized crime and gang team executed four search warrants on the morning of November 16, 2016. RCMP Grande Prairie provided assistance with the searches, and the arrest of seven suspects.
ALERT’s investigation began in late October after information was received about drug activity in the Grande Prairie region. The search warrants resulted in the seizure of the following items:
- Loaded handgun with serial number defaced;
- Shotgun (x 2);
- 253 grams of cocaine;
- 6 grams of heroin;
- 78 grams of crack cocaine;
- 14 grams of methamphetamine;
- 40 grams of marijuana;
- $6,695 cash proceeds of crime;
In one of the homes searched, three young children were found living amongst drug trafficking paraphernalia, a large amount of cocaine, and a loaded, unsecure shotgun. The children were placed in the care of a family member and a 31-year-old man and 28-year-old woman were arrested. The parents’ names are not being released.
A total of 38 charges have been laid in relation to drug and firearms offences.
- John Wilson, 27, was charged with possession of a restricted firearm, unauthorized possession of a restricted firearm, unauthorized possession of a firearm, tamper with a firearm serial number, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, careless storage of a firearm (x 2), and possession for the purpose of trafficking.
- Lydia Dafoe, 26, was charged with was charged with possession of a restricted firearm, unauthorized possession of a firearm, tamper with a firearm serial number, and careless storage of a firearm.
- Karman Singh Grewal, 19, was charged with possession of drugs (x 2), possession of proceeds of crime, and breach of recognizance (x 3).
- Ronjot Sing Dhami, 23, was charged with possession of drugs (x 2), and possession of proceeds of crime.
- Allen Connal, 32, was charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking (x 3), possession of drugs (x 2), and possession of proceeds of crime.
Grewal’s breach charges stem from a previous ALERT investigation that took place in October 2016.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of Alberta Sheriffs, Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.