Digital Forensic Examiner
Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT) is a non-profit corporation that brings together the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources to tackle serious and organized crime. ALERT is comprised of municipal police, RCMP, and sheriffs that work together on elite teams throughout Alberta to investigate issues like organized crime, gang violence, and child exploitation.
ALERT is looking for a Digital Forensic Examiner to fill a full-time contract position for the Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) units based in Edmonton and Calgary. This position reports to the Digital Forensic Supervisor.
ICE conducts internet child exploitation investigations that generally result in the seizure and analysis of computers and electronic devices. The investigators and the forensic examiners are required to use specialized software and hardware to complete these investigations and the support of these investigations requires a specialty-trained person in position to deliver digital forensic analysis.
This position conducts forensic examination of computer systems, cell phones, game consoles and other data storage devices, and will work in conjunction and as part of a team with investigators, forensic technicians and Crown Counsel in gathering evidence to bolster cases specifically relating to internet child exploitation investigations.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Acquisition and verification of data from computer systems, data storage devices and mobile devices.
- Analysis of data in efforts to gather evidence in support of criminal charges identified by the investigative team.
- Categorization of pornographic images for presentation in court.
- Presentation and detailed reporting of evidentiary findings as they relate to the forensic examinations conducted.
- Provide testimony in Criminal court relating to evidence and the results of forensic examinations.
- Conduct examinations of mobile devices and other devices that may contain digital evidence in efforts to gather evidence.
- Provide technical assistance and opinions to investigators and investigations where required.
- Attend search scenes to assist law enforcement with the seizure of devices under lawful warrant.
The candidate will at a minimum be able to demonstrate the following skills by possessing a degree, diploma or Certificate, from a recognized educational institute. Equivalency of a combination of self-learning and higher education courses could be considered if the candidate can display the required skills and knowledge.
- Experience and training in the use of computer forensic software, including but not limited to Encase, Access Data, or X-Ways Forensic.
- Recognized training in mobile device evidence recovery.
- Familiarity and experience conducting forensic examinations in a law enforcement setting.
- Experience in court proceedings and giving evidence relating to computer forensic examinations.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
- Knowledge of computer hardware, including an above-average ability to identify and articulate the purpose of components, and the ability to disassemble and re-assemble computer systems.
- Knowledge of computer software, including an above-average ability to use, learn and explain the functionality of a wide variety of software, including but not limited to internet web browsers, word processors, picture/video viewing programs, and file sharing programs.
- Knowledge of file operating systems, including the ability to articulate and practice the storage, moving, copying and accessing of files.
- Knowledge of the usage of the internet, including the basic fundamentals of HTML, searching the internet, downloading, uploading programs, using P2P or other file sharing programs, and experience with forums or other messaging systems.
- Knowledge of networking components and fundamentals.
- Knowledge of computer forensic procedures and practice.
This position is based at the ALERT offices in Edmonton and Calgary, and travel is required.
Interested candidates should forward a resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com or complete the form below. Please clearly indicate the city in which you wish to apply either in the subject line of the email or in the ‘Message’ field of the form below. The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The successful candidate will be required to submit to and pass a security screening process and will be required to be eligible for special constable status. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The starting salary for this position is $35.00/hour. Compensation level will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.